Cannot create Epic error message "Epic Name: Epic Name is required."

Steve Mee January 18, 2018

I'm trying to create an Epic in Jira Cloud.

From Backlog I open Epics and click 'Create Epic'.

Project is set and I enter the Summary (which should be the name of the Epic).

On clicking Create I see the error message "Epic Name: Epic Name is required."

I guess I need to add the Epic Name to a particular form but am not sure which.  If I click 'Configure Fields' in the upper right od the Create Epic box Epic Name is not available for selection.

Any ideas?

Cheers - Steve

11 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Magyari Szabolcs August 20, 2021

A have the same problem, some solutions that work now ? :) I maka configuration for epic, include epic name and after i try to create one, the "Epic name" does not apper....

2 votes
Dario Andres Palminio Choy April 6, 2021

I solved it with administration permissions. As an administrator, I went to the “issues” in “configuration” option. I went to “Issue Type Screen Scheme”. I select “Configure Issue Type Screen Scheme” and next, I select “Associate an Issue Type with a Screen Scheme”, where I select Epic Issue type and a Screen Scheme with “Epic Name” field included.

In other words, I configured the epic (within my project) with a ”Screen Scheme” that includes a “screen” that has "Epic Name" as an included field (included in Screen with "Configure Screen"). 

Epic Name - 2021-04-06.png

This worked for me.

Epic Name when Create - 2021-04-06.png

Gaurav Sharma October 11, 2022

I was facing the same issue, and above solution worked for me. I'm able to create Epic now and also added few more fields as per my requirement.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2019

Hi everyone,

This problem was originally reported for Jira Cloud.  Since that time the problem in Cloud has been fixed. 

However Jira Server and Jira Data Center installs can still see this specific error when trying to use the 'Where is my field?' dialog box on an agile board create issue or create epic dialog box.   This is a bug.  We are tracking this specific bug in JSWSERVER-12965.

Fortunately, there is an easy work-around found on that bug ticket here:

Workaround

• Instead of using the Board to create the Epic, use the Create Button in the top navigation bar to create the Epic. Following this method will permit you to use the 'Where is my field?' dialog without generating this error.

This alternative creation location will show you a slightly different create issue/epic screen.  If you are unable to create the issue/epic due to a missing field from the screen, you can use the Configure Fields -> Where is my field? option on this screen to work past this problem.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Andy

Carson Price January 25, 2022

This doesn't work again. I'm on Cloud version, When I go to backlog, Epics, Create Epic I get a screen that doens't have "Epic Name". 

When I go to "Find your field" and type in "Epic Name" it has check marks next to all three "Admin-Related Setting" and it is on all the screens for Epics. 

1 vote
Deleted user May 6, 2019

Hello @Steve Mee and others,

If you are getting this error, please go to "where is my field" and check if 'Field Screen' is assigned to your project. If not, then Configure Screen and add 'Epic name' field to that screen.

It will resolve your problem.

0 votes
Elle Chippendale March 11, 2022

When trying find my field it says 'Status: The 'Epic Name' field is not present on the form you are viewing'

Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2022

Yes, get an administrator to add it to the screen you need it on (create/edit/transition for the Epics)

0 votes
Matthew Dougan October 19, 2018

Click on the "Where is my field?" link and search for the missing field. There was a period of time that I experienced an endless spinner after clicking on "Where is my field?" and then one day I tried it and it worked... I can't explain that one.

Amy Taylor October 19, 2018

Thanks Matthew, saw your comment on this above so I guess I'll have to try daily to see if it resolves itself but it's definitely frustrating since I need this done asap. Wish I could figure out why this is happening on this board in particular. Thanks for the help. 

Like David_Guilfoyle likes this
0 votes
Amy Taylor October 19, 2018

Hi all, 

I'm in the same boat here. The 'configure fields' does not have Epic Name as a choice and the 'where's my field' button does not respond, only spins. Any suggestions? I was in an existing project and created a new scrum board to transition to instead of our kanban. Really need Epics in order to better organize. Did this several times yesterday on other existing projects doing the same exact steps and had zero issues. I've looked into issue type scheme settings and see not differences. Totally stuck on how to fix this. Thanks. 

0 votes
Ali Sylvester August 27, 2018

I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME THING.  The wheres my field button already has everything selected... Any other solution ideas?

0 votes
Greg Johnson April 29, 2018

I have the same problem in Jira Server.  The frustrating thing is that I have a number of Epics that I created successfully a few months ago, but don't appear to be able to create any more due to this 'Epic Name' requirement.

I have tried both the general 'Create' button at the top of every Jira page, and also from the Backlog page of a Kanban board in the Epic tab "Create Epic"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2018

The epic name has always been required on Epics, you need to get it on screen.

Try the "where's my field" option on the create screen to quickly see what needs fixing to enable it to be there.

Greg Johnson April 29, 2018

Nic, prompt as always!!!

What is the difference between an issue Summary and an Epic Name?  For all the Epics that I created before I don't recall having to enter two pieces of info.  It is possible that those were done using Portfolio for Jira (since abandoned - way too expensive for us beyond the trial) - is it possible that P4J auto-duplicates the Summary/Epic Name fields behind the scenes for convenience?

---

We just had to log a bug for the 'where's my field' as it produces the following error:

An error occurred

Please try refreshing the page, or contact your administrator / Atlassian Support if the problem continues.

Details

• Exception: Uknown current dialog ID: create-epic-issue-dialog
    • Resource: https://XXXXX/s/50304f51de4e18829f4459672058de30-CDN/irmlea/78001/3303639c46f2a0c8179d22eba70d4c10/4.1.6/_/download/batch/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin:whereismycf-resources/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin:whereismycf-resources.js?locale=en-CA
    • Line: 153
    • Column: 1226

Environment

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_4) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.1 Safari/605.1.15

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2018

As an admin, go into the create screen again, and use the "configure fields" - you should see "where's my field" as an option.  This is really helpful, as it lists all the reasons your field might not be there, highlights any of the ones that are blocking it and links directly to where you can fix it!

Steve Mee January 19, 2018

Hi Nic and thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately when I click "where's my field" I just see the spinning 'I'm doing something' indicator but nothing happens. It's been swirling for 90mins now :-)

Matthew Dougan August 3, 2018

Same here

Prakhar Jagariya August 22, 2018

same i am facing the exact issue while creating the EPIC and on clicking where's my field.

please help

Matthew Dougan August 23, 2018

It is odd. After dealing with this problem for a while, one day I just gave it another shot and the "Where's my field" button decided to work and I was able to do what I needed to. Perhaps update your browser, log out and back into your Jira account, etc. I have no idea what I did to experience different results. Good luck! I changed nothing about the project or my user privileges. 

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2018

Hi Steve,

which Issue Type is set in the form? If you set any other than Epic, the field Epic Name is not available.

Steve Mee January 18, 2018

Hi Thomas

The issue type is set to Epic.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question