Cannot create Epic

I'm trying to create an Epic in Jira Cloud.

From Backlog I open Epics and click 'Create Epic'.

Project is set and I enter the Summary (which should be the name of the Epic).

On clicking Create I see the error message "Epic Name: Epic Name is required."

I guess I need to add the Epic Name to a particular form but am not sure which.  If I click 'Configure Fields' in the upper right od the Create Epic box Epic Name is not available for selection.

Any ideas?

Cheers - Steve

6 answers

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jan 18, 2018

Hi Steve,

which Issue Type is set in the form? If you set any other than Epic, the field Epic Name is not available.

Hi Thomas

The issue type is set to Epic.

Thanks,

Steve

0 votes

As an admin, go into the create screen again, and use the "configure fields" - you should see "where's my field" as an option.  This is really helpful, as it lists all the reasons your field might not be there, highlights any of the ones that are blocking it and links directly to where you can fix it!

Hi Nic and thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately when I click "where's my field" I just see the spinning 'I'm doing something' indicator but nothing happens. It's been swirling for 90mins now :-)

same i am facing the exact issue while creating the EPIC and on clicking where's my field.

please help

It is odd. After dealing with this problem for a while, one day I just gave it another shot and the "Where's my field" button decided to work and I was able to do what I needed to. Perhaps update your browser, log out and back into your Jira account, etc. I have no idea what I did to experience different results. Good luck! I changed nothing about the project or my user privileges. 

I have the same problem in Jira Server.  The frustrating thing is that I have a number of Epics that I created successfully a few months ago, but don't appear to be able to create any more due to this 'Epic Name' requirement.

I have tried both the general 'Create' button at the top of every Jira page, and also from the Backlog page of a Kanban board in the Epic tab "Create Epic"

The epic name has always been required on Epics, you need to get it on screen.

Try the "where's my field" option on the create screen to quickly see what needs fixing to enable it to be there.

Nic, prompt as always!!!

What is the difference between an issue Summary and an Epic Name?  For all the Epics that I created before I don't recall having to enter two pieces of info.  It is possible that those were done using Portfolio for Jira (since abandoned - way too expensive for us beyond the trial) - is it possible that P4J auto-duplicates the Summary/Epic Name fields behind the scenes for convenience?

---

We just had to log a bug for the 'where's my field' as it produces the following error:

An error occurred

Please try refreshing the page, or contact your administrator / Atlassian Support if the problem continues.

Details

• Exception: Uknown current dialog ID: create-epic-issue-dialog
    • Resource: https://XXXXX/s/50304f51de4e18829f4459672058de30-CDN/irmlea/78001/3303639c46f2a0c8179d22eba70d4c10/4.1.6/_/download/batch/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin:whereismycf-resources/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin:whereismycf-resources.js?locale=en-CA
    • Line: 153
    • Column: 1226

Environment

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_4) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.1 Safari/605.1.15

I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME THING.  The wheres my field button already has everything selected... Any other solution ideas?

Hi all, 

I'm in the same boat here. The 'configure fields' does not have Epic Name as a choice and the 'where's my field' button does not respond, only spins. Any suggestions? I was in an existing project and created a new scrum board to transition to instead of our kanban. Really need Epics in order to better organize. Did this several times yesterday on other existing projects doing the same exact steps and had zero issues. I've looked into issue type scheme settings and see not differences. Totally stuck on how to fix this. Thanks. 

Click on the "Where is my field?" link and search for the missing field. There was a period of time that I experienced an endless spinner after clicking on "Where is my field?" and then one day I tried it and it worked... I can't explain that one.

Thanks Matthew, saw your comment on this above so I guess I'll have to try daily to see if it resolves itself but it's definitely frustrating since I need this done asap. Wish I could figure out why this is happening on this board in particular. Thanks for the help. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,949 views 19 22
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you