Cannot convert issue to sub-type

Erick Calder June 5, 2021

when I click on the little checkmark icon labelled "Task - Change Issue Type", I get 3 choices: Task/Story/Bug

why don't I see Sub-task? I have subtasks enabled.  if I click Settings/Issues/Sub-tasks, I see:

"Sub-Tasks are currently turned ON"

so what else do I need for Sub-tasks to show up on the menu so I can convert my issue to a sub-task?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2021

@Erick Calder it's possible to convert an issue to a sub-task for Team Managed projects via the "Move" option is the issue's detail view.

It's a 2-step process and screenshots below should help walk you through the how to make the conversion:

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 12.49.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 12.50.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 12.50.20 PM.png

Erick Calder June 11, 2021

ha! that's beautiful.  1,000 thanks

Like Matthew Abe likes this
Erick Calder June 11, 2021

I wish Atlassian would have a united interface approach across the Team Managed and non-Team Managed systems.  I really don't see why it should be different anyway

Like Matthew Abe likes this
0 votes

according to this document:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/the-convert-to-subtask-option-is-not-available-on-the-more-drop-down-967314401.html

the problem may be with some Add-on/pluging that needs to be enabled.  However, the instructions state I need to "Go to Administration > Add-Ons > Manage Add-Ons"

for a change, the instructions cannot be followed.  I do not find the "Administration" link anywhere in the system

can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2021

Changing an issue's type is a structural thing, and you can only edit or move an issue to another type at the same level.

Changing an issue to a sub-task type (or from a sub-task to an issue) is even more structural, as you need to create a relationship with a parent issue, or destroy that relationship.

You don't do it with edit or move - go to the issue you want to change and look to the tools menu, you should see "convert to subtask" in there.  That process will demand you tell it what the parent issue is to be.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2021

If you go to the detailed issue view try this…

F8328561-1B23-4E73-B057-B77F358E23F7.jpeg

by "the tools menu" I presume you mean the ellipsis all the way at the top right of the window.  that pulls down a menu with items like Move, Clone, Delete, Change Parent etc.  there is no Convert to Subtask" there

aside from that, I'm told here I should be able to just change the type:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Unable-to-convert-an-issue-to-a-sub-task/qaq-p/1714557#M486646

Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 3.56.53 PM.png

the above is what I see.  as you can see, I don't see a choice of Sub-task

for completeness, this is what I see under the "tools" menuScreenshot 2021-06-05 at 3.59.31 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2021

Ah, yes, ok.  Team-managed projects don't have the convert option for their issues.

gosh.  how frustrating.  so do I upgrade? what do I have to do? I need to be able to manage things.  this is so useless!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2021

Team-managed projects really are very simple and lack a lot of functionality.  I regularly have to say "they're not ready for real usage yet", although Atlassian are gradually adding the functions we need to them.

I'm afraid the only useful answer here is "use a company-managed project instead".

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events