Cannot click "Associate Issue Operation with a Screen"

Scott Hung August 17, 2017

Hi All,

I'm trying to add Resolve & Close Issue Operations to my Screen Scheme, but the "Associate an Issue Operation with a screen" button is greyed out (e.g. disabled).  I was able to add "Create Issue", "Edit Issue" and "View Issue" in the past, but I can't add any more.  

I'm looking at this documentation article https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/associating-a-screen-with-an-issue-operation-802592588.html and it doesn't list any caveats why you can't click the button.   Is it because I can't change which screen is displayed for a Close or Resolve operation?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2017

No, it's because Close and Resolve are not "issue operations".

There are three issue operations

• View
  • Edit
  • Create

All the other changes you make to an issue are part of the workflow for it.  While we talk about "close" and "resolve" as pretty standard actions, they're not universal.  You can easily configure a workflow so that there is no such thing as close or resolve.

You can, and should, define the screen you want ("Screen" in JIRA-speak means nothing more than "a list of fields to show to a user when the do something").  Once that is right, go into your workflow, edit the close/resolve transitions (not operations, transitions) and tell them to use your screen.

Scott Hung August 17, 2017

Bingo! That was it!

As a follow on, if you create a new transition does that mean you can only assign the screen in the workflow?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2017

Screens are simple in themselves, but used in ways that can be really confusing, even to long-in-the-tooth admins like me.  I still find myself looking at the wrong one!

When you create a new transition, you can give it a screen (leaving that empty means a user clicks the button and the change of status just happens, with no fuss).  Transition screens are used during the transitions, so I think the answer to your quesion is "yes" - you need to add the screen to the workflow.

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2017

I just want to expand on what Nic is saying: He's 100% right.

Screens are collections of Fields. Right? We all know that. Screens are used in two ways, by two features:

1. Screen Schemes
  2. Workflow Transitions

You can use screens in a Screen Scheme: This allows you to assign this Screen to one of three Operations:

1. Create
  2. Edit
  3. View

You can also use screens in Workflows. When the user clicks a Transition button, a Screen can be displayed: You can assign these within the Workflow Editor.

Suggest an answer