Cannot add user to internal directory with same username as a user in Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)

Ben October 3, 2013

Hello,

We are using JIRA with multiple user directories configured as follows:

1st position - JIRA Internal Directory

2nd position - Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)

We are trying to create a user in the JIRA internal directory that has the same username as a user in the AD, but receive the following error:

A user with that username already exists.

Since the JIRA Internal directory has a higher order of precedence, I would think that creating an internal user with a duplicate username would not be problematic.

Furthermore, if I add a 3rd user directory (Internal with LDAP Authentication), then try to add the same user as before, I am given the option to select the JIRA Internal directory, and the user creation succeeds.

We are using JIRA 4.4.5 but I have tested my question in JIRA 6.0.1 with the same result.

What gives?

1 answer

2 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2013

Hi Ben, even if the internal directory is on the top position, it won't allow you to create an user in this directory if the username is already in use in another diretory.

However, there is a way you can circumvent to restriction, if you temporarily disable the directory that contain the existing username, you'll be able to create the user into the internal directory. After that you can just enable the other directory again and JIRA will only authenticate the internal user.

I hope this information has helped.

Cheers

Ben December 26, 2013

Hi Tiago, thanks for the response. However we will not be able to use that solution as most all our users are in the AD, and even temporarily disabling that directory would be problematic.

I guess my biggest problem(s) with this situation is two-fold:

A: Seems like a big oversight and could be potentially very limiting as there could easily be multiple users with the same user name.

B: The solution seems half implemented already. As I stated above, if I add a third user directory (an Internal with LDAP auth.), I am given the option of where to add the new user, and the user creation succeeds without conflict, regardless of the duplicate username. If this selection option were available without having to add a 3rd user directory, we're home free, and JIRA can use the order of precedence as expected.

Additionally, it seems like what u are saying is not entirely accurate as I AM able to create users with duplicate usernames across multiple user directories by creating that 3rd user directory. If that's a bug... please dont fix it.

Suggest an answer