Cannot add keystore using JIRA Configuration Tool

Tom Pitcher March 9, 2014

I have created a keystore as described here and have attempted to add it using the JIRA Configuration Tool (via the CLI since I'm on a Debian machine). When doing so I receive the following error message:

The referenced certificate could not be found or accessed. Do you want to try again?

After decompiling the relevant class, it seems this is due to a method designed to load the specified certificate details returning null. Is there any way I can get more information on why this is failing?

3 answers

1 vote
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2014

Hi Tom, the message you mentioned usually is related to file system permission. Does the user running JIRA have permission to read the certificate file?

Also, you may find more information about JIRA classes at http://docs.atlassian.com

Cheer

Hi Tiago, the keystore file's permissions are 644 so JIRA's user should be able to read it.

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2014

Tom,

Perhaps this is a stupid shot in the dark, but are you using the JRE that comes packaged with Jira or are you using your own version of Java?

Do you see any difference if you import your certs into the Java keystore instead of the JKS in Jira?

Also I am confused, are you using the configuration tool or are you using the command line?

Tom Pitcher March 17, 2014

Hi Daniel,

I have the exact same error if the keys are imported into Java's main keystore. I'm using the JRE packaged with JIRA, and I'm using the Configuration Tool's command line interface (not any kind of GUI, which is presumably the alternative). I'm accessing this by running the shell script "bin/config.sh" in $JIRA_HOME.

0 votes
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2014

Hi Tom,

I found a question in Atlassian answer which seem to be relevant to your current issue https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/146659/unable-to-configure-ssl-in-jira. Feel free to follow the suggestion in the answer and see if the solution apply to your issue.

Regards,
Jing Hwa

Thanks, I had found that item, but the accepted answer doesn't seem to apply to my situation. The user imported his keys into the wrong keystore - but I have one keystore; named jira.jks in JIRA_HOME.

Suggest an answer