Cannot accurately sort by scripted field

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2015

I've created a scripted field called Work Effort Progress, but I'm not able to sort (ASC or DESC) on this field in the Issue Navigator unless I include "Work Effort Progress" is not EMPTY in the JQL. I don't think that I should need to do this because none of the fields have an empty value (i.e. "Work Effort Progress" is EMPTY doesn't return any issues at all). I've re-indexed multiple times and the issue is still occurring.

Here is the script I'm using.

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import org.apache.log4j.Category
import com.atlassian.jira.config.SubTaskManager

SubTaskManager subTaskManager = ComponentManager.getInstance().getSubTaskManager();
Collection subTasks = issue.getSubTaskObjects()
Double timeSpentTotal = 0
Double remainingEstimate = 0
Double progress = 0

if (subTaskManager.subTasksEnabled && !subTasks.empty) {
    subTasks.each {
        if (it.getTimeSpent() != null) {
            timeSpentTotal += it.getTimeSpent()
            }
        if (it.getEstimate() != null) {
            remainingEstimate += it.getEstimate()
            }
        }
    }
else if (!subTaskManager.subTasksEnabled || subTasks.empty) {
    if (issue.getTimeSpent() != null) {
        timeSpentTotal = issue.getTimeSpent()
        }
    if (issue.getEstimate() != null) {
        remainingEstimate = issue.getEstimate()
        }
    }
if (timeSpentTotal > 0) {
	progress = ( timeSpentTotal / ( timeSpentTotal + remainingEstimate ) ) * 100
}
return progress.round(2)

And here is my custom template (I added a pseudo progress bar far a visual representation of progress):

#if($value > 0.01 && $value <= 10)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">></span></strong>>>>>>>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 10 && $value <= 20)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>></span></strong>>>>>>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 20 && $value <= 30)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>></span></strong>>>>>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 30 && $value <= 40)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>></span></strong>>>>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 40 && $value <= 50)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>>></span></strong>>>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 50 && $value <= 60)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>>></span></strong>>>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 60 && $value <= 70)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>>>></span></strong>>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 70 && $value <= 80)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>>>>></span></strong>>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 80 && $value <= 90)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>>>>>></span></strong>>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value > 90 && $value < 100)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>>>>>>></span></strong>><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#elseif($value == 100)
    <div><strong>[<span style="color:green;font-weight:bolder">>>>>>>>>>></span></strong><strong>]</strong> $value%</div>
#else
    <div><strong>[</strong>>>>>>>>>>><strong>]</strong> 0.0%</div>
#end

I can search on this field just fine and everything else about this field works wonderfully except for the sorting capabilities. When I try to sort, I get this error message:

"Error occurred communicating with the server. Please reload the page and try again."

If I add in the JQL mentioned above, I can sort just fine. Any ideas on what might be causing the error or where I can look to try to diagnose the issue? Thanks for your help!

3 answers

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2015

I used the following field code:

def modulus = issue.id.mod(4)
modulus == 0 ? null : modulus as Double

and the sorting worked ok, except it sorted them in the order null, 3, 2, 1. Which is not intuitive to me.

If you're getting an error there should be a stack trace... although it might be truncated. Can you find it and post it?

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2015

Hi, Jamie - without making any changes to my field or anything today, I see that my field is sorting correctly. Not sure why it's working now and wasn't before. After creating the field, I re-indexed and checked, but it didn't work then. It is now! Appreciate your input and quick responses - thanks!

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2015

Hi, Jamie - this scripted field is using a Number range searcher.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

Which indexer/searcher is the custom field configured with?

Suggest an answer