Cannot Access Confluence or JIRA Suddenly

Audra July 11, 2017

Up until at least 11AM EST, we were able to access both Confluence and JIRA with no issues.

However, now we can only access JIRA via localhost on the server and have no access to Confluence. I have a feeling that whatever issue is affecting the one may have affected the other due to them both going down around the same time, but so far cannot pinpoint what may have caused it. Nothing on our network has changed as far as I'm aware and updates haven't been installed on the machine.

I have ensured through telnet that I can connect via <serverIP> 8080 & <serverIP> 8090.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2017

Just to circle back, Audra and I put our heads together and it turned out that we needed to restart the Apache 2.4 proxy. Then the applications were accessible.

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2017

Hi Audra,

If you can connect via the IP but not the hostname that is a DNS issue.  You'll want to verify your DNS server is working as expected and the A records for the Confluence and JIRA Server still exist.

You'll want to verify that you can resolve hostnames from the machines JIRA and Confluence are installed on.  Make sure you can ping google.com from the two machines and then try pinging the two machines host names from another machine or even ping the FQDN of the Confluence machine from JIRA and vice versa.

As a quick test I would try restarting the two computers to see if that allows you to regain access as well.

Cheers,

Branden

Audra July 11, 2017

Good afternoon Brandon,

DNS appears to be working to me, but even still what about with Confluence, where I can't access it at all?

I can confirm that the server (the two applications share one server) can resolve host names and I can ping the host name of the server from my local machine. 

I've also restarted twice, as well as stopped and started the services with no avail.

Thank you so much for your help.

0 votes
Audra July 11, 2017
2017-07-11 10:30:41,964 INFO [read-only-transaction:thread-1] [atlassian.confluence.user.DefaultUserAccessor] getUserNamesWithConfluenceAccess Found USE permission with no associated username or group: [USECONFLUENCE,0,null,null,null]

Amending my first statement. Confluence (and presumably JIRA) was working until about 10:30, during which this message appears in the atlassian-confluence.log.

2017-07-11 10:55:45,082 ERROR [ThreadPoolAsyncTaskExecutor::Thread 4] [spring.scanner.extension.ComponentImportBeanFactoryPostProcessor] postProcessBeanFactory Unable to load class 'com.atlassian.bitbucket.auth.RememberMeService' for component importation purposes.  Skipping...
2017-07-11 10:55:45,082 ERROR [ThreadPoolAsyncTaskExecutor::Thread 4] [spring.scanner.extension.ComponentImportBeanFactoryPostProcessor] postProcessBeanFactory Unable to load class 'com.atlassian.jira.config.properties.ApplicationProperties' for component importation purposes.  Skipping...

These errors also start appearing regularly among others.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2017

Hi Audra - After restarting Confluence does the atlassian-confluence.log finally say "Confluence is ready to serve" after all the plugins load?

It sounds like you are running WIndows since you refer to running as a service. Are you using IIS to proxy the applications so you can access them without the ports on the URLs? If so, please check whether IIS is running as expected. 

What do you see in the browser when you try to access Confluence on localhost?

Thanks,

Ann

Audra July 11, 2017

Good afternoon Ann,

This was the latest instance of that messaged (followed by all of the latest errors if that helps).

2017-07-11 13:17:47,641 INFO [read-only-transaction:thread-1] [atlassian.confluence.user.DefaultUserAccessor] getUserNamesWithConfluenceAccess Found USE permission with no associated username or group: [USECONFLUENCE,0,null,null,null]
2017-07-11 14:00:00,099 WARN [scheduler_Worker-4] [hql.internal.ast.HqlSqlWalker] generatePositionalParameter [DEPRECATION] Encountered positional parameter near line 1, column 110 in HQL: [SELECT usr.name, usr.lowerName FROM com.atlassian.crowd.model.user.InternalUser usr WHERE usr.directory.id = ? ORDER BY usr.lowerName].  Positional parameter are considered deprecated; use named parameters or JPA-style positional parameters instead.

We're using Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, but I don't believe we're using IIS.

When trying to browse to confluence, I'm getting an HTTP 404 Not Found error.

Thank you so much for your help.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2017

Please try to open a support ticket at https://getsupport.atlassian.com so the support team can see your complete logs. Please zip the following and attach to the ticket:
* <confluence_install>/logs/ (anything recent in this directory)
* <confluence_home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log

If this is a Production instance, please open the ticket as a high priority.

If your license won't let you open a ticket then I will continue helping in this forum.

One last question: when you are accessing Confluence from your desktop, do you use a port number like 8090? If not, a reverse proxy of some kind (maybe Apache if not IIS) is in place. Since JIRA and Confluence both respond to telnet on their Tomcat ports, I wonder if the proxy is causing the instances to be inaccessible.

Suggest an answer