Can you use two estimates type fields such as "estimate" & "story points" within bugs? To determine value & risk for bugs, tasks & stories

CaptainJonesy January 12, 2016

Hi, 

For our sprint planning, we want to plan fix bugs from our backlog as well as work on new features/stories. To make good decision to pick the items with most value in each sprint, we want to have two fields to measure value & risk for all bugs, tasks & stories. If this feature implemented or bug is fixed, how much value would it add to the user? Which determined by the QA or PM. Then Risk would be determined by the developer. Risk & Value would be measured by point value. Here is a few questions below regarding this:

1.) Is there other type of fields I can use instead that would be better suited for the my purpose/requirements?  

2.) Can you use two estimates type fields such as "estimate" & "story points" within bugs, stories & tasks? 

3.) Can you rename these fields to be "risk" and "Value"? 

4.) Can you see the point value of these fields ("estimate" & "story points") within sprints overview page like you can see type of issue (bug or story or task) and priority?

Thank you for any time and input on this matter. 

Thanks, 

Chris 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2016

1) I'd lean towards numeric custom fields for this, although they do let you put absolutely anything in there.  You might find it better to use select lists with reasonable values instead (but if they're not numbers, you can't really do a lot of maths with them)

2) Yes, you can.  There's nothing to stop you putting in both estimates and story points.  But your reports are only going to work off one at a time

3) No.  Well, you could rename story points, but I'd leave it alone.  Risk and Value are not time/estimate/effort/complexity fields, so I'd use custom fields.  (You might want to have a look at Agile/Software's default "Business Value" instead of adding others)

4) Yes, but only one at a time

Suggest an answer