Can you use the REST API to create/edit/post to a software project ticket?

Brianna Barnes December 19, 2017

Originally the API I made was specific to a Service Desk project, and I changed the project type and my API no longer works. I want to make sure that using the API to create and edit an issue in a software project is possible before continuing to dig any further.

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2017

Hello,

There is an additional object in the Jira Service Desk domain model called Request Type. If you use Rest Api to create a request type then you can not use this Rest API in Jira Software because in Jira Software you create issues not requests. You could create your own Rest Api to hide this difference but you would still need to program the difference in your custom Rest Api.

So I guess the answer is that you can use the same REST API only if you create issues in Jira Service Desk and Jira Software, if it suits your requirements then go ahead with it. You can use api/2/issue

https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/1000.1609.0/#api/2/issue

Suggest an answer