Can you move child options to a different parent while using a Cascading Select List custom field?

Mark Zaugg September 2, 2015

We use a Cascading Select list custom field extensively across many of our projects.  The parent option can be simplified to countries and the child options are clients located in that country.  Under normal circumstances, I would never expect the clients to change countries.  However given some re-organization and M&A's I've been asked to move clients to a different parent category.

Is there a way to do this within JIRA?  (Follow up: Would that have to be done directly in the database?)  I could disable the child option in one country and create a new on in the second, but this would break historical data about the clients and is less satisfactory than moving the client directly.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2015

I suggest you add the value under the other country and disable the option in the original one. On past issues it will still show the original value, but won't be available for new issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-a-custom-field-185729468.html#ConfiguringaCustomField-options

Mark Zaugg September 2, 2015

Thanks Joe, that's how I've done it in the past.  The users will have to look for both locations of the company to get the full history of the client.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2015

No, and I wouldn't recommend doing it in the database either (I never recommend database work) - you'd have to hack the options and all the existing custom field values, really very carefully.

Suggest an answer