Can you move child options to a different parent while using a Cascading Select List custom field?

We use a Cascading Select list custom field extensively across many of our projects.  The parent option can be simplified to countries and the child options are clients located in that country.  Under normal circumstances, I would never expect the clients to change countries.  However given some re-organization and M&A's I've been asked to move clients to a different parent category.

Is there a way to do this within JIRA?  (Follow up: Would that have to be done directly in the database?)  I could disable the child option in one country and create a new on in the second, but this would break historical data about the clients and is less satisfactory than moving the client directly.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 02, 2015

I suggest you add the value under the other country and disable the option in the original one. On past issues it will still show the original value, but won't be available for new issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-a-custom-field-185729468.html#ConfiguringaCustomField-options

Thanks Joe, that's how I've done it in the past.  The users will have to look for both locations of the company to get the full history of the client.

1 vote

No, and I wouldn't recommend doing it in the database either (I never recommend database work) - you'd have to hack the options and all the existing custom field values, really very carefully.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

92 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you