Can you keep a column on a Kanban board AND in the Kanban backlog?

Lindsay Czopur October 2, 2017

Currently we have four statuses linked to columns on Kanban boards - To Do, Ready, In Progress and Done.  I'd like the To Do column to display on the Kanban board AND in the Kanban backlog view, but configuring the columns forces me to map a status to only the backlog in order to enable the backlog view. Is there any way I can display the column in both the backlog view and on the regular Kanban board view?

2 answers

0 votes
scherbank October 5, 2017

I have another idea, Lindsay.

You can create two Kanban boards. One for planning only and configure them in different manner.

In first you will have no backlog and statuses mapped to columns (working Kanban).

Another one will be used only for planning mode.

0 votes
Nicolas Seronvalle October 3, 2017

Hi Lindsay,

I assume that your backlog currently shows "To do" and "Ready" statuses. So in your board you have 3 active columns "Ready", "In Progress" and "Done".

Then what you can do is adding a "backlog" status that will be mapped to the backlog, while your "To do" status is mapped to the board column. This way your "To do" status appears in the backlog view as well as in your board.

You can also make an automatic transition from "backlog" status to the "To do" status. "Backlog" status would then be used only as a technical workaround :-)

Does it help?

Lindsay Czopur October 3, 2017

Thanks, Nicolas!  I was hoping to have the "To Do" status appear in BOTH the backlog view and in the regular Kanban board, but I can create another status potentially as a workaround. Ideally, however, I'd like for this to appear in both places.  Thanks for your help.

Nicolas Seronvalle October 4, 2017

Well, if you do this work around, your "To do" status will appear in both the backlog view and the regular Kanban board :-)

The idea here is that the new "Backlog" status won't be really used. It's just created to help you have the "To do" status in both the backlog view and the regular Kanban board.

The transition between "Backlog" and "To do" status can be automatic (use automation rule for instance)

Suggest an answer