Can you have a set template of Child Tasks when creating an Epic?

Stephen Thurgood June 19, 2019

Me and my team are using Jira to manage patches in epics and for the most part, the child issues are the same for each patch. It's very long winded having to create 4-5 child tasks for every patch we have. Is there a way to create a "template" so when an epic is created, it'll automatically add the child tasks?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2019

Hello Stephen, 

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Using only JIRA application, there are some options you can perform to achieve something similar to issue templates:

1 - Create an Epic + Child issues to be used as a template. Once you need to create new Epic and Child issues, navigate to the template Epic and the related child issues and click to Clone it:

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 16.09.21.png

2 - Create custom issue types to be used as child issues. For these issue types screens, create and add custom fields with all the information you need, where you can set the template information as Default values.

Performing these steps, every time you create an issue of that specific issue type, the default values will be automatically added to the issue fields.

To know how you can create custom issue types and configure its screens, check the documentation below:

- Configuring custom issue types

Associating screen and issue operation mappings with an issue type

To know how you can create custom fields and configure default values, check the documentation below:

Configuring a custom field

3 - Additionally, there's also a third-party App that you can use to configure issue templates:

Issue Templates for Jira

Let me know if this information helps.

Stephen Thurgood June 20, 2019

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I'll give these a go :)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2019

You are welcome, Stephen.

Let me know if you need any help to set any of the suggested options.

0 votes
Gerhard January 8, 2020

Hello,

I tried to use your first alternative. But I don't have this three points on the right side. And if I use the "Clone" from the menu "More", I only get a Clone of the epic - but not of the child issues. 

What's going wrong? We use Jira 8.5.1 (Server version).

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hello @Gerhard

Indeed, the new Jira Server version has a different layout than the one provided in my screenshot (That one is from Jira Cloud Application). The "More" button is the correct way in Jira Server.

About the cloning of the child issues, Jira does not have a functionality to automatically clone them when you clone the related Epic. We are already considering this option for you, however, some performance issues are causing a delay in the deployment:

When cloning an Epic, add the option to clone the linked Stories as well 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, you can use the third party app Template (Epic) cloner for Jira, which might help you achieve your goals.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer