Can you edit the rank field using number values versus drag and drop in Greenhopper and/or the issue itself?

Cindy Kobayashi May 14, 2012

Hi,

I know you can edit rank in the issue and/or greenhopper using a drag and drop method. Is it possible to edit the rank using numbers instead? We are on Jira 4.2.2 and Greenhopper 5.4.

Thanks,

Cindy

6 answers

1 vote
PS2018 August 29, 2012

Is there any way to get Rank value from backend?

0 votes
Christian Willoch July 17, 2012

Hi Shaun,

I understand that the rank value is relative to the entire issues in the system. But sometimes I want to be able to order some issues/stories relative to each other.

Example:

I have a label for "Part A" and "Part B" of the system. When the number of stories are getting large, I often organize and evaluate the stories part by part. So I want to prioritize all the stories in "Part A" with each other.

Problem with Rank to top/bottom function is that it moves the issue/story to the top or bottom of the total backlog, while I would like to be able to move down/up within each part. Either by dragging/dropping (when filtering the Agile list by a label - but this view does not give any option to change rank), or by adding av feature in Issue Navigator for "Rank up/Rank down".

Is this an interesting feature to implement, or is there some other way I can use Greenhopper/Jira to facilitate this way of working?

Regards,

Christian

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2012

Hi Christian,

I think you can do this today. Just add a quick filter for the two labels then rank while the quick filter is enabled. The drag and drop ranking should definitely still work with quick filters on, if not you might need to log a bug with support.

Thanks,
Shaun

Christian Willoch July 18, 2012

Thanks, Shaun!

Always something new to learn about Jira.

-christian

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2012

Hi Cindy,

I'm not 100% sure about whether or not you can directly edit the Rank as a numeric value in GreenHopper 5.4, that's a very old version and we're currently up to 5.9.7.

In the most recent versions you definitely can't edit the rank value directly. This is because every issue in the entire system is part of one rank list (i.e is ranked relative to every other one), editing it directly won't work because there could be issues from completely other projects in between the issues you wish to rank numerically. We've made this a bit easier however because we have added the ability to 'Rank to Top' and 'Rank to Bottom' from the JIRA view issue page (which will rank the issue to the top or bottom of any project/context/rapid board) as well as the ability to jump straight to the issue on the Rapid Board so you can re-rank it.

Thanks,
Shaun

0 votes
Cindy Kobayashi May 15, 2012

Hi,

What I would like to do is to be able to go into the issue edit screen and click on the rank field and make changes to the field using numbers. So if I have 10 issues in a project and I want to change the rank of an issue that is ranked #5 to rank #8... I want to be able to click on the rank field of that issue and type in #8 to make the change. The system will then need to adjust the rank order of the other issues accordingly.

Is this behavior possible in Jira or Greenhopper?

Thanks,

Cind

0 votes
Cindy Kobayashi May 15, 2012

Hi,

What I would like to do is to be able to go into the issue edit screen and click on the rank field and make changes to the field using numbers. So if I have 10 issues in a project and I want to change the rank of an issue that is ranked #5 to rank #8... I want to be able to click on the rank field of that issue and type in #8 to make the change. The system will then need to adjust the rank order of the other issues accordingly.

Is this behavior possible in Jira or Greenhopper?

Thanks,

Cindy

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2012

It would be great if you can elaborate your usecase.

Suggest an answer