Can you edit a View Issue screen to present a custom value field, even if it has a null value?

Ryan Wyrick September 14, 2017

On our project, if someone opens a JIRA story, but does not select an Epic Name, the Epic Link field will not show up on the View Issue screen for that ticket. My assumption is because the value is null, the screen is set up not to present it.

Our Product Owner, wants the Epic Link field to be visible on the View Issue screen, so that she can easily update from there while viewing tickets.

I have tried changing screen configurations, but cant find how to do this. I also thought about creating a post function on ticket creation to add a placeholder epic, so that it had a view and would be displayed. I was unsucessful and don't love that option to begin with. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

We set a default value in fields that we want to always display.   For us, it is usually a "-" 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2017

Correct, Jira tries to keep the display as uncluttered as possible, and one way to help with that is to not display empty fields.

Your product owner is stuck - she's going to have to go into edit (or a transition) to fill in the field. 

Or you could make it mandatory, so it is always filled in.

Ryan Wyrick September 14, 2017

Thanks Nic, that would be a good idea to make Epic Name mandatory. When I looked in the System Default Field Configuration it looks like Epic Name is already marked as "Yes" on the Required columnEpic.PNGfor the default screen used for our project. Am I looking in the wrong place? 

Epic.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2017

The required flag is nothing to do with screens.

Check that you're using the right field configuration for your project and issue type.

Suggest an answer