It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can you downgrade JIRA without losing any data changes since upgrade?

Hi,

We are in the process of updating our JIRA deployment approach to use your official docker image (rather than manually maintained VM) and would like to automate the JIRA upgrades as much as possible.

One of the key things we would like to do is provide a more Testing in Live capability whereby if issues are discovered a version rollback can be carried out.

I've been reading through the various threads on this site and it seems all information points towards a rollback only being possible by restoring to a database dump / JIRA_HOME directory backup taken at the point of doing the upgrade and that is not possible to rollback a version gracefully without destroying the old data.

Is this the case?

if not, is there any work going in to making this possible?

Thanks,

John

2 answers

The only thing I'd do would be to keep a backup of the old version before I had upgraded JIRA :P.

Using data of an higher version on a lower version will work for sure but doesn't seem right to me.

Application is upgraded with data in it - now rolling back the application version along with data ( god alone knows what changes must have happened at data level while upgrading ) seems wrong and arduous to me.

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Leader Nov 19, 2019

The restore from backup will not allow you to restore a new version than the one you are restoring to. During the upgrade process changes to the database may be made so there may be no 'place' for the new data to go. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you