Can you define the default fields displayed on a screen?

motherg September 3, 2013

Alrighty then - as we know, by default users are shown ALL the fields available for a screen and they have to go in to the Configure Fields menu to hide the ones they don't want to see (as some are only relevant in certain cases).

Is there a way to make it I can specify which fields are actually shown by default and then users can use the Configure Fields option to show any additional fields they want, as opposed to hiding the ones they don't need?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2013

Hi there,

I did a quick check at jira.atlassian.com, and it seems that the request was not created yet. Hence, I have created this request on your behalf here - JRA-34655.

For now, I would recommend that you do the following on the feature request ticket :

* Vote, so that it will receive more attention

* Watch it, so that you will receive any and all updates

* Comment, and give your opinion on the matter

Please note that the implementation of new features and improvement requests falls under Atlassian's Implementation of New Features Policy.

motherg September 4, 2013

Thanks Joe, I hadn't got round to it :)

1 vote
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2013

you can raise improvement request @ https://jira.atlassian.com

if you need any support then submit ticket @ https://support.atlassian.com

0 votes
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2013

Hello there,

It depends on what screen do you want to make those fields default for, as you can specify the fields which are associated with each screen by default. For example, you can customize the Create Issue screen to only include those fields that you require for your project, and hide other that are not required. You may refer to the following links for more details:

Please let me know if I missed anything, and I will be happy to assist further. ;)

Cheers.

Ah right, some context is useful here.

So we've got a few fields that are useful for certain people when creating an issue, but not everyone.

As with all users, they hate change and they are being pathetic at using the 'Configure Fields' menu - I keep getting "but why do I have to hide what I don't want??". It seems like a fair question I guess.

So what I want to do (or have the option to do) is have is so that I can specify which fields, from the ones that are available for a certain screen (let's say it's bug creation screen) are displayed for everyone, then any additional fields could be available under the 'Configure Fields' menu for people to turn them on when they need to.

In this scenario, about 90% of users only need the smallest set of fields.

Does that make sense? I know you'd think "well, just limit the available fields to the ones that are needed" but in the act of covering all the bases and making it as frictionless as possible, that's what we've done. Unfortunately it's added more friction for the people who don't need some of the custom fields.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2013

Nope, that is not possible yet. You might want to raise a feature request.

You're right, I certainly do :)

Could you point me in the right direction so I can do that?

Suggest an answer