Can you create permissions specific to a project?

Troy St J July 27, 2017

I am trying to give a single user access to a single project with the following permissions;

- only access to a single specific project

- can view issues and sprints

- ideally only manage the backlog (wondering if it is even possible)

Current use case is a single user in this single project but, the same situation would apply to all projects with different users having the same permissions.

Thank you.

Troy

1 answer

2 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

The main thing you need to do is rip out jira-users from all your permissions. This way a new user has access to nothing. Then you build a permission scheme that is role based. Then you add the appropriate users into the appropriate roles in the appropriate projects.

Troy St_ John July 27, 2017

Hey Boris,

Thanks for confirming I am on the right track. I thought i had successfully ripped it out as you suggested but certainly not the case. 

I've cleaned out the Global Permissions thikning that would do it. Is there somewhere else I need to look?

Troy

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

Uh, you want it to remain in the JIRA Users global permission. Other than that you need to pull it from roles and permission schemes.

Troy St_ John July 28, 2017

For the most part I am still configured right out of the box but, I feel like I am missing something in your explanation.

If I can lean on you a little further.....

I created new groups in Global permions and added users into those while removing the jira-users from them. I see the Project Users role in my project which has jira-users in it. If I understand you correctly I should pull the jira-users group from the Users role in the project? When I do that I break pretty much every other users access to the project.

I am suspecting that I am missing correctly removing permissions associated to the jira-users group but I simply cannot find them? Any suggestions?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2017

Unless you want absolutly everyone who can logon to have access to your project do not use the jira-user group. You can not REMOVE access via the permission scheme, only give them. So you can give jira-users browse permission, but not give them edit or create. 

You can use a security scheme that is applied on an issue by issue basis to limit access, although you can make it apply to all issues. But that happens after the issue is created. 

Troy St_ John July 28, 2017

Joe and Boris, thanks so much for the help. I finally got to exactly where I needed to be.

More questions coming but they will be in other threads.

Either of you heading to Summit?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2017

Yup, I will be there. Feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Suggest an answer