Can you create a way for one task to create the start of another?

Timothy Brainard December 5, 2017

I'm looking to try and sequence the order of tasks so that a group of tasks aren't released all at the same time. For example, 1. order new part 2. inspect new part upon arrival 3. Install the new part. 

What I'm wanting is when we release this process that the number 1 task would go out and once it was signed off as complete it would send the number 2 task out and so on. Currently all tasks are send out in a group and it leads to some confusion. 

Thank You 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

You could accomplish this with an app. There are a couple of them on the Marketplace. We use ScriptRunner to do similar, depending on where an issue is in the workflow, a new task will be created and linked to the parent one. Automation for Jira and Power script for Jira are two other apps can do this too.

Timothy Brainard December 6, 2017

Mikael

We use ScriptRunner currently. Do you know the code or process to make this happen.

Thanks

Tim  

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2017

I am using the built-in script Clone an issue and links, but I am only copying the Summary field over, all other fields are emptied out.

0 votes
Dina Mohamed November 24, 2021

can you please elaborate on how to do this with automation?

0 votes
Johnson Wang December 12, 2017

Hey @Timothy Brainard,

Like Mikael mentioned, there are a couple different options for add-ons.

If you're open to trying it, Power Scripts can easily help you create new issues sequentially the way you need with just a few lines of code.

Here are some related articles to get you started:

1. Creating a new issue on transition

2. The createIssue() function

Hope this helps!

Johnson

Suggest an answer