Can you create a permission for subtask creation?

Molly Favret May 8, 2012

I only want certain project roles to be able to create subtasks, and would like to create a permission to limit this. Is this possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Taylor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2012

I don't think you can create a permission that would remove the option to create a sub-task; what we've done is to add a Validator to the 'Create' transition on the workflow which checks that the current user is in one of the Project-Roles which we have decided is allowed to create that type of sub-task. If they are not, then they will see an error message when they click the 'Create' button.

0 votes
Corey_Young April 19, 2013

I am trying to add a Validator to the Create Issue transition but I do not see one that allows me to check that the user is in a particular project role. Am I missing something?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2013

Hi Corey, it's better if you create a new question, because this is answered so nobody enters in this one...

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012

Just to extend Alex answer, I found that it looks this won't be an option by default from Atlassian.

There are two issues about this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5865

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5476

This can only be achieved with workarounds.

Molly Favret May 8, 2012

Thanks Alex and Ramiro. This is consistent with what I thought, I was just wondering if there was a workaround. I am currently using the validator for this, but the error message isn't very user friendly and looks like an error rather than an intentional message, so I was hoping there was another way. Thanks for your responses!

Suggest an answer