Can you clear the "Description" for a field in the Field Configuration

Cinthy Janse July 17, 2017

We have a shared JIRA instance and needed to differentiated between fields with the same name by adding a field description when we created these Custom Fields.

We now have a project that is using this field, and would like to clear the field description (this project has its own "Field Configuration"). I've tried deleting the text and even adding "spaces" but it keeps reverting to the original text when I try to edit this in the projects' Field Configuration. Is there a way to clear this?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Kobayashi Maru November 14, 2018

You can save a blank character by typing: &nbsp

Had I not known about this tag already I would've given up in frustration. I wish JIRA was more intuitive =/

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2017

Clear the description from the Custom Field configuration. The field configuration picks up the description attribute from the custom field configuration. 

Cinthy Janse July 17, 2017

Thanks Steven

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2017

No problem. It's not obvious and I don't think it's even documented anywhere but the field configurations "inherit" the custom field description if the field configuration is blank.

The system seems to recognize that spaces, line returns, and even empty paragraph tags are "empty space" and thus that trick doesn't work anymore.

Suggest an answer