Can you apply a number limit of users from an LDAP connection

ryan_howman_au_dstsystems_com November 11, 2020

Is it possible to apply a hard cap to the users coming in through a specific LDAP connection.

We have a connection from a client site we would like to limit. i.e. we want to delegate only 500 licenses to them.

As the LDAP group connected is out of our control, it regularly pushes our license number close to the limit.

Is there any way to set this limit in the LDAP settings so they do not exceed this.

I have been sifting through the web and unable to find anything clear on how one would do this.

1 answer

0 votes
tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2020

Dear Ryan,

I assume you use the user directory synchronization coming with Jira. The only way to filter user accounts being synced is the object filter which is basically an LDAP search string. I did some research to find a way how to limit the number of objects with an LDAP filter but without result.

Anyway, even if there was a solution via LDAP filter the result would be questionable. Which records should be in the results? Which order should be applied and which records would be cut of?

I think we have to find a different approach to control which users from which customer get a license.

If I understand correctly you host Jira for your customers. Your customers control which users they add to the scope but you have to balance on your side the overall license consumption ideally without manual assignment of licenses on the one hand but also without taking licenses away from users who were already licensed on the other hand.

I have a similar use case but solved it with manual license assignment.

So, I’ll also have to think about this in the long run.

Kind regards,

Tobias

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2020

It looks like this add-on supports capping and automates license assignment to a large extent.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222216/flexible-user-license-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

ryan_howman_au_dstsystems_com November 18, 2020

Thanks for your help Tobias.

Much appreciated.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events