Can you also link files and images on your computer

John Kolb August 3, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Attaching files and screenshots to issues

Can you also link files and images on your computer

3 answers

0 votes
Clemens Kleibusch August 25, 2016

Hi!

This is an issue for me too. So I'll try to describe my need on this.

I keep records for some work steps in confluence. Within that there are files to edit in SVN.
Everyoen in our department has the local SVN repository stored in 'E:\SVN' so it is easy to use a file link.

I understand that this link is useless for most of the world. But for my department it would be very helpful.

Thanks, Clemens

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2016

Hey Clemens!

Check out this Answer:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/183031

Let me know if that helps or not!

Good luck!

Clemens Kleibusch August 29, 2016

A direct link doesn't work with firefox, this is mentioned very often. So i tried a very efficient solution: Local Filesystem Links by austrALIENsun, as I found in your link. Together with "file:///" it works! You only have to exchange the backslashes with slashes. This is not very comfortable but usable.

Thanks again, Clemens

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2016

Hey Clemens, thanks for the update!  Super lame that you had to use an add-on, but I'm glad it's working!

0 votes
John Kolb August 3, 2016

Unfortunately storing or embedding the documents to our ISSUE tracking system results in very ambiguous performance when opening them.  It typically takes a minute or two to access the documents.  Its like if I start the download then cancel the document then opens. We end up storing them in a project folder again as it is faster.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2016

I see!  What sorts of documents are these?  What sorts of file sizes are they?

Because you're on Cloud, when you attach a file to an issue, it needs to be uploaded to the instance, (which takes time), and when you'd like to view it, you need to download it, (which also takes time).  If the attachments are of significant size, this can clearly take a fair bit of time.  

Another factor is how fast the internet connection you have is.  If it's super slow, upload and download times are going to be magnified.

This project folder you mentioned, is that on a central server?  If it is, you can try to link to it by using this syntax:

*file://SERVERNAME/PATH/FILENAME*

But I've had varying amounts of success with that in the past.  In fact, I'm pretty sure most browsers do not allow 'file://' links to be opened and viewed, (for security reasons).

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2016

Hey John!

Sadly not.  For this to work, the application would need constant access to the computer that holds the files, which is just not practical for most situations.  Especially if you're on Cloud/On Demand.

May I ask why you'd like to do something like this?  Are you running into a specific problem?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer