Can we write plug-ins with Kotlin for Jira?

Siavosh Kasravi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2019

I asked this question also here. When a question is not answered in an active forum it usually means there is something wrong with it. :-)

I started writing plug-ins using Jira plug-in SDK which uses Java. Thought maybe as Kotlin also runs on JVM it could be possible to write the codes in Kotlin.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Arun_Thundyill_Saseendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2019

In the view that Kotlin runs on JVM it may be possible to write a plugin in Kotlin for JIRA. However, it will be a research project in itself and it is not supported by Atlassian.

Writing it using the Atlassian SDK is the preferred way and it has all advantages of community support, testing, SDK features etc.,

Siavosh Kasravi
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2019

As Java and Kotlin can coexist what I meant is using current Atlassian SDK to write Kotlin plug-ins.

Like YJ Huang likes this
Arun_Thundyill_Saseendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2019

Food for the brain. Have to really try it out to find the caveats.

0 votes
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 22, 2019

I am also interested in writing plugins in Kotlin. I think it's possible as Kotlin is interoperable with Java but there seems to be some issues and a workaround.

Please vote for this Jira issue so that Atlassian improves Kotlin support: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-68091

Suggest an answer