Can we use story points and velocity to calculate "time" in Gantt Cloud?

Brandon Vulaj August 13, 2014

As the title says, can we do this? Is this being implemented if not? Requiring the use of time tracking doesn't help those of us using story points.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2014

Hi Brandon,

It sounds like an interesting idea indeed. The only question is, how you would like to "convert" story points into dates? Maybe, by multiplying them by some sort of custom time factor?

Also, as Jira Agile doesn't have an API available for Atlassian Connect plugins (that is the one Gantt Cloud is using) at the moment I need to check first if I could get the story points data directly from the Issue itself.

Brandon Vulaj August 14, 2014

I think you could get the "time" factor out of it by potentially utilizing the velocity (if that's available). ie - The project has an average velocity of 60 points per two week sprint, and therefore an average of 30 points per week and therefore an average of six points per day... I think that would work :)

Thanks for the consideration!

Timothy Martel May 8, 2019

I agree.  I don't see why the current JIRA plugins for creating Gantt charts all use some form of planned start/end dates and time estimates.  We might as well go back to MS Project!

Why not create using Sprint Plan and the Story Points and Ranking of issues within the sprints?

0 votes
Dave Cavell September 7, 2018

Would also like this

Suggest an answer