Can we use custom css for Service Desk?

Ian Goldsmith February 27, 2015

The branding options for the Service Desk customer portal are borderline nonexistent.   Is there a way to use custom CSS and ideally content to more comprehensively change the look and feel of the portal header and footer?

6 answers

5 votes
Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2016

Today i found their is an easier workaround.

• Create a new JIRA Plugin
  • Add a web ressource

<web-resource key="jsd-customer-portal-web-wesources" name="JSD Customer Portal Web resources">
    <dependency>com.atlassian.auiplugin:ajs</dependency>
    <resource name="jsd-customer-portal.css" type="download" location="/css/jsd-customer-portal.css"/>
    <context>customerportal</context>
    </web-resource>
  •  Add "customerportal" as context
Rasmus Fachmann August 21, 2020

could explain a bit more about how this is done?

Ryan Geddings November 16, 2020

I don't understand how this could work effectively. JSD uses an uglify process for their CSS classes. This means that any overrides we managed to force into the page would be rendered ineffective the next time JSD released. OP, can you explain how you overcame this?

3 votes
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2017

The functionality for customization in the add-on Refined Theme for Jira Service Desk makes branding customization so much easier as there is limited branding out of the box. Can definitely recommend. You can customize using CSS, but it's not supported. May be worth a try.

3 votes
Geoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016
1 vote
C R March 18, 2015

Is there any guidance for a workaround until the API will be available? Please also see my comment in JSD-397.

1 vote
Ian Goldsmith March 2, 2015

Thanks Bruno.  This is very surprising to me.  It's hard to see how larger enterprise who typically have a pretty strong brand policy could use Service Desk to provide a customer support portal.

Ian

1 vote
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2015

Ian, right now the source code for Service Desk is not publicly available, so such type of customisation/modification is not really an option. We do have a standing request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-397 to make the source code public. I'd suggest watching that to stay up to date on any progress, as well as voting/commenting on it to provide feedback to the dev team.

Suggest an answer