Can we use JIRA 4.2.1 email template file for JIRA 4.4?

Yogesh May 19, 2012

To my surprise, I dont know why atlassian has removed the tag - $eventTypeName: from the subject templates?

..\\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\email\subject

1. Can anyone tell me the rationale behind removing the tag from JIRA 4.4.4 which was there for JIRA 4.2.1?

2. Is there any other modifcations, changes I need to incorporate to see the issue event in the subject line?

3. Can I use 4.2.1 templates for 4.4.4 version?

4. Is it recommended?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2012

#1 Someone at Atlassian may, usually, changes are due to behind the scenes code reorganisation, or 'new thinking'.

#2 This kind of depends on your level of customization, your answer is one diff tool away. You'll need to use something like Meld or even an IDE like Eclipse. Its not too difficult, and you have not done so already, with customised templates, gaining skills in this area is pretty much a must.

#3 Yes and no, if you have a local test system, make the change, hit a test issue, see what you get. Monitor the logs for velocity errors, check messages for $variable type messages where values weren't found in the velocity context. In any case, after all this, you're either going to resolve changes one by one or just do #2

#4 Of course, if you customize, you must migrated those cusotmizations as you increment your JIRA release.

The subject velocity template is nearly trivial, if thats the only template you have, an eyeball and notepad should be all you need to resolve the differences. If you are wanting to reinstate some previous data that is no longer present, you will be wanting to consult the doco for the applicable versions.

Suggest an answer