Can we simulate production server load on dev server?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2012

Currently we are working on jira 4.4.5 performance tuning and for that we want our dev instance to be simulated with same load as that of our production servers for doing some testing. Is there a way for doing that?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2012

Possibly.

To do that, you need to do two things

1. Analyse your current usage to establish what load is being created. That's the harder bit - you need monitoring, log analysis, load profiling and so-on to work out what you need to test
  2. Set up load testing - this is relatively easy - once you have a load profile, you can plumb it into one of several tools to simulate the load you're seeing. But you either need to know what you're trying to test, or you can make some (well educated) guesses and do some comparisons that way.

I'd start with some generalised testing first, unless I had something I really knew I wanted to test (my main client at the moment has a distinct pattern - on the plain internet, Jira works fine for the users, but inside the corporate network, Jira runs like a three legged dog after it's had a few beers). Start with https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Performance+Testing+Scripts

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2012

Thanks Nic :) I will take a look into the suggested link. Since i haven't worked on Testing with some testing tools earlier, this task for me seems to be nightmare.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2012

I know what you mean - I know very little about load testing, but those scripts really helped me get started when I was first asked to do some on Jira.

0 votes
Philip Haynes November 15, 2012

We have been using behind a firewall also - but the CDN still delivers JIRA content faster!

If you don't use a CDN the next step is to make sure you have Apache correctly configured for content distribution and do things such as ensuring page compression is turned on.

In terms of profiling we used HTTP access logging to identify traffic patterns and volumes. We then simply replicated request patterns using a REST client into our model site to ensure we had the thing tuned.

Philip

0 votes
Philip Haynes November 15, 2012

Hi Spatruni,

The load testing we have migrated prod data into test and created a REST web services interface to simulate production load to simulate key use cases.

This stated, in practice the best thing I have done to speed up JIRA was to put CloudFlare in front of it.

Cheers,

Philip

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2012

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for your answer. Appreciate if you share some more details about the procedure which you had followed. our JIRA is running behind the firewall so i dont think CouldFlare is required for us.

thanks,

Srinivas Patruni

Suggest an answer