Can we send encrypted Passwords

DanielTeuschl October 19, 2016

Hello,

we have the Problem some Users forgot Passwords in some Software Programs. We will send this Passwords now in Clear-Text in a Ticket. How we can send it encrypted? Any Plugin or a other Idea?

Thanks for your Help.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2016

While running over SSL all your traffic will be encrypted, but i am assuming you want it encrypted on disk (i.e encrypted in the database)? This is not possible in JIRA today, every comment or text added to an issue in Jira/JIRA service desk is stored unencrypted.

0 votes
Ryan Kennedy May 18, 2017

We have this same problem - we often want to attach sensitive information to a JIRA ticket.

We are an Atlassian Solution Partner and we've just released something that might help.  It's called Team Secrets and it protects sensitive file attachments in JIRA with end-to-end encryption for attachment uploads and 2 factor verification for downloads.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/io.teamsecrets.jira.prod/cloud/overview

Please try it out and let us know what you think!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2016

Looking at that plugin, if i'm reading it correctly, the user (customer) would need access to JSD to view the field decrypted. If all customers of JSD that you wish to support for password management have access then it may work and certainly worth a try. As long as you are using server version of course. 

With that said, I'm unsure JIRA is the best solution here. I would opt for encrypted email or other 3rd-party tool. 

0 votes
DanielTeuschl October 20, 2016

The Problem is we have a IT-Security Admin the will send all Encrypted. Now we send a Zip-File with Password Txt included. Thats a Time-Killer.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.pluginifiedcorp.plugins.jira.encrypted-field/server/overview

Maybe this can be the Solution? Thanks for helping.

Suggest an answer