Can we restore comments restricted to a deleted project role?

Camila Acosta August 28, 2016

Recently we've deleted a project role which has been previously used to restrict the visibility of many comments, therefore once the role was deleted those comments disappeared from JIRA.

We've re-created the project role with the same name and permissions as it had the one we deleted but the comments are not available anymore.

Is there anyway we can restore those comments? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Camila

1 answer

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2016

Hi Camila

The project role that you deleted would have had a database id which would be used to store the comment visibility.

Deleting the project role and recreating it, would have given it a new id.

In the database, you will have to identify the comments and update the old id with the new id of the project role.

The below query should give you all the comments for JIRA issues that belong to a project with id 10001

select * from jiraaction where actiontype='comment'
and issueid in (select id from jiraissue where project = 10001);

Thanks

Bhushan

Camila Acosta August 28, 2016

Thanks Bhushan, we have JIRA OnDemand and therefore I can't access directly to the database.

Can we request support to get help with this?

Regards

Camila

Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2016

Hi Camila,

You can try raising a support ticket for an answer related to data recovery for Cloud instances.

Thanks

Bhushan

Karthiga Sethuraj February 22, 2019

Hello Bhushan,

I am facing a similar issue explained here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Comments-and-worklogs-restricted-to-old-user-group-is-lost-in-a/qaq-p/1016651#U1016727

Except that we did not delete the project role but deleted the user group associated with that Project Role. And replaced that user group with a new user group. 

Previously the comments visibility were restricted by Project Roles only called Developers. 

And we changed the "comment visibility" option in JIRA Settings > System > General Configuration from "Project Roles only" to "Groups & Project Roles"  

This now allowed users to restrict to using the new user group instead of the Project Role. But the Role still exists now. 

All the restricted comments & worklogs are now lost.

Next Steps to Restore the restricted comments & worklogs:

1. As per your reply in this old ticket:  Will I still be able to retrieve the old comments restricted by the Project Role using the above query ? After I find the DB id for the project role with the help of my sysadmin. 

2. If we switch back the comment visibility setting to Project Role only , will it help restore the comments ?

This is the Production support project and hence your inputs and help is highly appreciated!

Thank you.

Karthiga Sethuraj February 25, 2019

This is fixed now.

Suggest an answer