Can we modify Jira workflow to call REST APIs with customizable JSON POST payloads?

Michael Crawford June 28, 2012

We currently use WebMetrics to trigger PagerDuty via it's API to inform engineers of a problem they need to fix. Their first task is to open a Jira incident, which must be created manually, and then updated manually.

I'm interested in see if we can reverse this, so that WebMetrics calls Jira's REST API to open the incident, starting a workflow which will then call PagerDuty's API to initiate notification.

I think there is a plugin I've seen which adds the ability to make HTTP/HTTPS calls via GET and POST as a workflow post function, but I don't see that on the current list of supported plugins for On-Demand. I don't know if there's another method available on On-Demand which might work as an alternative.

I also don't know if I can create custom workflows using the On-Demand product - we'd most likely want to create separate instances per client, all at the 10-user model - does this minimal install support custom workflows, and can I create post functions which can construct custom JSON objects and then pass them via POST to arbitrary 3rd party REST APIs?

We do have a Jira install in-house, but this hasn't been stable historically, so our PMs and clients may be weary of inserting this into such a key support process, whcih is why I'm looking into using the hosted Jira service. We could always build this on our internal Jira if the hosted model is not yet up to handling this, but I was hoping someone could comment on what's currently possible, and what may be possible in the next few months.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2012

JIRA OnDemand allows custom workflows but it doesn't allow third party plugin which provides functionality that you have mentioned. There are no other alternatives as well that you can use to make calls to external APIs.

You can do lot of JIRA functions like creating issues remotely but the other way around is not possible.

Suggest an answer