Can we migrate JIRA data on a per project basis?

David Frager _gmail_ June 12, 2014

We currently are running on an older version of JIRA, and want to begin to take advantange of many of the new capabilities. We are currently running on a download version, and plan to remain in this configuration going forward

The steps I want to follow are:

1) Bring up the new JIRA instance and build a new set of projects. We will run in this limited configuration for about 2 months while we prove out the new definitions

2) Migrate data from the old version of JIRA to the new version of JIRA, without impacting the new projects. There are no overlaps in the projects, resources, or assets between our new projects and the existing projects.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2014

You can do a project import but you will have to upgrade the older version of JIRA to be able to do that.

I do not want to touch the existing environment. My intention is to take a project at a time, export the data and configuratoins (Screens, work flows, etc), and then import it into the new instance.

Once the project has been exported, I will lock it down in the old instance and users will begin using the new instance of JIRA for that project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2014

Short answer is "can't".

Long answer is you can, but it'll take a bit of work. What you'll need to do is export everything from the old system (standard xml backup), import it into a dev system at the same version, upgrade the dev system to the same version as the target, export everything again, then you'll be able to use project import in the target.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2014

In that case project import won't work. Your other option is to do CSV export/import as Andrew suggested.

thanks for all of the input. While I don't like the idea of the extra steps, I don't think we have the luxury of an alternative approach. it would probably take 2 or 3 iterations to migrate all of the projects to the new instance.

The nice part of this approach will also enable testing of the external system integrations as well.

We are currently fairly old in our JIRA version, so I know we also need to do a step through, so that will add additional struggles

Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2014

Indeed. One way that I've done it is:

1. Backup FROM system
2. Move .XML backup to TEST system and restore from the backup (same, old version)
3. Login, verify
4. Upgrade to the TO system's version
5. Take another .XML backup in the TEST system, export
6. Bring the export to the TO system
7. Perform the aforementioned Project Import with recent export from TEST system
8. Celebrate

0 votes
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2014

You should be able to import from CSV, but not XML due to differences in data formats. Simply do a Project Import and you shouldn't see anything irregular, so long as all of the fields and such are intact. During the process, the new system will yell and tell you what it needs if anything.

Suggest an answer