Can we get jira issue key from customfield using jira cli?

jananeev September 22, 2013

we need to update linking information in jira, for that I need to get jira issue key based on external key. So please tell, Is it possible to get Jira issue key based on external field value?

3 answers

0 votes

Hi Nic,

Here is the complete details how we are going to link issues in JIRA

1)Import data to JIRA from old_ID in CSV format.

2)While importing to JIRA, JIRA key (unique) will take only numeric part of old id.

3)As we can’t import linking information of Old projects to JIRA, we are creating an external field (old_ID which is unique in Old system).

4)Based on the clone by (parent – Old ID) and clone to (child- Old-ID) information in JIRA for each issue, we will be mapping to external field (unique Old-ID).

5)Based on external field value, we will find JIRA key (destination).

Here external field means custom field that we created to store old-ID value.

So please help in getting JIRA key from external field(old-ID).

And also tell me, Is there any JIRA cli action to get issue key based on custom field values??

Thanks for help

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2013

You need to define the logical relationship before we can help you answer that question.

How do your systems know that Jira-X is linked to External-Y? As a quick example, maybe you have a custom field called "external id". If that's true, then you can search Jira for "external id = External-Y" and you'll get one (or many) issues back i the results.

But it really does depend on how you're doing this mapping and where it's stored!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2013

You need to define the logical relationship before we can help you answer that question.

How do your systems know that Jira-X is linked to External-Y? As a quick example, maybe you have a custom field called "external id". If that's true, then you can search Jira for "external id = External-Y" and you'll get one (or many) issues back i the results.

But it really does depend on how you're doing this mapping and where it's stored!

thanks for quick reply Nic

We are importing existing DDTS to JIRA. We are not able to import linking information to JIRA. so we are keeping DDTS-ID as external field to get linking.

could you please help in linking issues in jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2013

Ok, so you've got DDTS-ID, but you haven't explained what you mean by "as external field", or how you are storing the relationship between that and the Jira issue. Could you explain these two? I'm pretty stuck until we know the structure of the data.

Suggest an answer