Can we create custom field which has all users that are part of the project??

Nikhil Bhasin February 3, 2013

1. We would like to have a custom field which has all users that are part of the project, i.e. project specific user

As As of now we have a user picker list which shows list of all JIRA users (whether they are part of user’s projects or not)

3 answers

1 vote
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2013

Hi Nikhil,

If you would create a separate user group for a project, and add all users relevant for the project, then you could user the Multi User Picker custom field, and set the default value to the users of that group.

0 votes
Parag Gupta February 3, 2013

Hi Nic,

Does this mean that there isn't any other way to do so besides using some other plugin. I believe this is one of the basic functionality that a tracker should have. Jira might have something around this.

Regards,

Parag

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2013

You'll need some coding to do that. There are some plugins available that might help you, but you need to think carefully about what you mean by "all users that are part of the project"

Also, you've said you're using OnDemand, so you can't install plugins or code... (yet)

Hi Nic,

Does this mean that there isn't any other way to do so besides using some other plugin. I believe this is one of the basic functionality that a tracker should have. Jira might have something around this.

Regards,

Parag

Thanks for the quick reply Nic. In our case we need a field on the same line with Assignee dropdown list. Is it possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2013

Not for a custom field - the possible combinations of what you might want in there are far too vast to code for.

If you use the reporter or assignee field though, you have complete control over them, because they have clear rules. The reporter field is limited to "people who can create an issue" and the assignee list is limited to "people who can be assigned an issue, as determined by the projects user lists and permission scheme"

Anything else, you need to code for, because there's no fixed definition for it. "People in the project" could easily vary from site to site.

You can see some examples in the marketplace - the obvious ones are "role based picker" and "group based picker", and if I were Atlassian, I'd be looking to add them to the core of Jira. But other selection rules are pretty much too undefinable to be useful as a general rule.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2013

That's nothing to do with your original question.

The layout of fields on screen is nothing to do with their option content. You'll need to amend code to re-arrange the screen to get another field on the same line as assignee.

If you meant you want a field the same as assignee, but not assignee, then please re-read the conversation.

Suggest an answer