Can we create an issue in Jira under a subtask issue type?

Jewel Francis May 24, 2016

Hi Team,

We have a number of issue types in the issue type scheme and we have created multiple issues under issue types such as Task, Story and Epic. And we are able to convert these into subtask as well.

But we are not able to create an issue type of subtask directly. When clicking on the CREATE button, I am only able to see Task, Story and Epic under issue type. I thought the subtask issue types were just another issue type like Task, Story etc. But is JIRA functioning in a way that, sub tasks can only be created under a main issue type? And not as a stand alone issue? Kindly clarify the same.

Warm Regards,

-Jewel

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
viktorokolot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2016

Hi @Jewel Francis

Yes, sub-tasks (any type of sub-tasks) can only be created under a main issue - no other way

Jewel Francis May 24, 2016

Thanks @Viktor Okolot [Polontech] smile I will keep that in mind.

Damien Braz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2016

Absolutely, as said in Atlassian doc:

Sub-task issues are useful for splitting up a parent issue into a number of smaller tasks that can be assigned and tracked separately. This can provide a better picture of the progress on the issue, and allows each person involved in resolving the issue to better understand what part of the process they are responsible for.

1 vote
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2016

As you mentioned above that was right we can create sub task into the main issue types like Task, story and epic but we can not create sub task as main issue type.

Suggest an answer