Can we create an issue in Jira under a subtask issue type?

Hi Team,

We have a number of issue types in the issue type scheme and we have created multiple issues under issue types such as Task, Story and Epic. And we are able to convert these into subtask as well.

But we are not able to create an issue type of subtask directly. When clicking on the CREATE button, I am only able to see Task, Story and Epic under issue type. I thought the subtask issue types were just another issue type like Task, Story etc. But is JIRA functioning in a way that, sub tasks can only be created under a main issue type? And not as a stand alone issue? Kindly clarify the same.

Warm Regards,

-Jewel

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi @Jewel Francis

Yes, sub-tasks (any type of sub-tasks) can only be created under a main issue - no other way

Thanks @Viktor Okolot [Polontech] smile I will keep that in mind.

Absolutely, as said in Atlassian doc:

Sub-task issues are useful for splitting up a parent issue into a number of smaller tasks that can be assigned and tracked separately. This can provide a better picture of the progress on the issue, and allows each person involved in resolving the issue to better understand what part of the process they are responsible for.

As you mentioned above that was right we can create sub task into the main issue types like Task, story and epic but we can not create sub task as main issue type.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

206 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you