Can we create a Jira Custom field that can be managed like versions/components?

Fazila ashraf January 16, 2013

Hi

Good day!

Can we create a Jira Custom field that can be managed like versions/components?

Project admins should be able to manage,add/delete choice values of this custom field by having "manage" section like that of Version/Component fields.

Is that possible?

Thanks and regards,

Fazila

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Wonder if anyone would actually pay for a "user-managed select list" field... or would it be another of those things that people resent paying for because they think it should be in the core product (under the category of federated project admin, which it should).

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Couldn't agree more. Even my administrators do this! But once created, you should optionally be allowed to delegate mgmt of values to any user that is project admin in all projects assoc'd with the relevant field context.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2013

Indeed - there should be a field type that says "this is a project field, list of options to be managed by the project owners".

I'd shy away from allowing project owners to define their own though - a good chunk of my career has been "clean up the mess made by allowing PMs to add their own fields/workflows". I'm not complaining about the work, but I came across one site that had 80 separate start and end dates. They needed 3 pairs in total. That's an undeniable mess and makes it very clear you need some centralised control.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

Come to think of it, nearly all my career has been "clean up the mess made by other people". Part of that I blame jira, it makes it easy to do the wrong thing often.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2013

Yup - the options are great, there's no need to have Jira admins have to maintain the lists. But adding the core field is definitely a central thing. Hey. Pays the bills though :-)

Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

I would be hesitating to add yet another plugin for such minute feature.

Anyway - use case described by Jamie is rational and with small impact/risk and I wonder, whether there is not such improvement requirement in JAC.

2 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

I think this is not possible.

Customfield Values will be added/deleted inside Jira Administration

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2013

Nope, as C. Faysal says, it's not possible. You'll need to write or find custom fields that support this sort of thing. I'm not actually aware of any in the marketplace, which is a little surprising as I can see the use for them.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013
I was hoping that profields supports this. But I guess not :(

Suggest an answer