Can we clone or copy a project on jira cloud

M Vijay Kumar May 30, 2016

Hi all,

we are actually trying to clone or copy project which is having basic tasks and dashboards. We would like to use this a base template for all the newly copied projects. Is there a way to clone a project on cloud. I see a lot of answers which includes links but they are directing to the 'page not found'.

Any information would be really helpful. 

Thanks,

Vijay

3 answers

4 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

JIRA Cloud does not have the core functionality to copy entire projects. If this is a must for your company/team, you can consider looking into the JIRA Command Line Interface. This plugin is compatible with JIRA Cloud and using it's cloneProject command.

NOTE: This workaround is not officially supported by Atlassian. You can find the documentation regarding installation and use here.

2 votes
Lee Herron March 15, 2020

This is a kind of crazy that you cant copy a project. 

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 3, 2019

For Jira Cloud you can use our app Deep Clone for Jira to bulk clone up to 1000 issues at once. (Update Dec 09, 2020: It's now possibel to clone entire projects).

You just have to filter for the issues you want to reuse.

Bulk-CloneForum1.PNG

Then you can bulk clone them into the new project. 

BulkCloneForum2.PNG

If you have any feedback or feature requests don't hesitate to contact us at support@codefortynine.com.

Lee Herron April 11, 2020

I tried this and its a good band aid for now, but this is still ridiculous  for a program that is so advanced in other ways. 

I mean how do they not have simple copy functions built in for projects, issues and  sub task ?  Seriously how many people would use this function instantaneously. 

honestly, if I had known this earlier I may not have chosen the platform as my project management solution. I am not spending more time setting up projects than anything else at the moment, crazy ! 

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 14, 2020

Hi @Lee Herron,

It's sad to hear that you spend so much time setting up projects. I hope that Deep Clone saves some time for you, that you can spend on more enjoyable tasks. 

Marketplace Partner
December 9, 2020

Hi @Lee Herron , It might be interesting for you to know that we released an update of Deep Clone for Jira that enables you to clone entire projects. 

You can read more about that topic in our documentation.

If you have any feedback on that, let me or our support know.

Suggest an answer