Can we change the issue type from 'Change request' to other issue types like bug, epic, story

Shiv Singh June 25, 2015

Scenario: 

I have created an issue and now changed the issue type to 'Change Request'. Can I again change the issue type to other issue type in JIRA Cloud? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2015

Yes.

Try editing the issue.  If the "issue type" is a field on the edit screen AND the current and target issue-types are compatible, it will simply let you change it.

If not, then use the "move" action on the issue.  You will be asked for the project (keep the same one) and issue type.  You need the permission to move the issue in the source project, and create issues in the target.  (Obviously, the issue type must also be available in the target project)

Shiv Singh June 25, 2015

I tried editing the issue but it wont allow me to change the issue type from 'Change request' to other issue types. I have following types of issues types: 1. Epic 2. Task 3. Story 4. Change request 5. Task I am not able to change the issue type from 'Change Request' to these issue types. I don't want to move the issues, just want to change the issue type of already logged issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2015

You can't just change types if the source and target are not compatible in their configuration. ALL of Jira's issue configuration is hung off the issue type. Changing the issue type is a bit like saying "I want to change the chassis on my car". Unless it's a compatible type of car, you have a whole load of compatibility changes to make to all sorts of other stuff. You have to use "move" to do it because the move functionality can handle the change of configuration.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2015

Unless you have for those issuetypes all the same schemes in use, you need to move the issue.

Suggest an answer