Can we change the issue type from 'Change request' to other issue types like bug, epic, story

Scenario: 

I have created an issue and now changed the issue type to 'Change Request'. Can I again change the issue type to other issue type in JIRA Cloud? 

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Yes.

Try editing the issue.  If the "issue type" is a field on the edit screen AND the current and target issue-types are compatible, it will simply let you change it.

If not, then use the "move" action on the issue.  You will be asked for the project (keep the same one) and issue type.  You need the permission to move the issue in the source project, and create issues in the target.  (Obviously, the issue type must also be available in the target project)

I tried editing the issue but it wont allow me to change the issue type from 'Change request' to other issue types. I have following types of issues types: 1. Epic 2. Task 3. Story 4. Change request 5. Task I am not able to change the issue type from 'Change Request' to these issue types. I don't want to move the issues, just want to change the issue type of already logged issue.

You can't just change types if the source and target are not compatible in their configuration. ALL of Jira's issue configuration is hung off the issue type. Changing the issue type is a bit like saying "I want to change the chassis on my car". Unless it's a compatible type of car, you have a whole load of compatibility changes to make to all sorts of other stuff. You have to use "move" to do it because the move functionality can handle the change of configuration.

This widget could not be displayed.

Unless you have for those issuetypes all the same schemes in use, you need to move the issue.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you