Can we build the functionality which is Grandparent, Parent and Child relationship between the field

Sreenadh September 16, 2022

Hi,

Can we build the functionality which is Grandparent, Parent and Child relationship between the fields.

For example:

I am having fields like Filed 1--(Grandparent)

Field 2---(Parent)

Field 3--(Child)

Here i want a mechanism like  Grandparent, parent and child relationship among the three fields.

Please help me out on the same.

Thanks,

Sreenadh

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hello @Sreenadh 

Jira already has a built in issue hierarchy that is three levels:

Epic > standard issue types (Story, Bug, Task, etc.) > Sub-task

- Epics can have multiple children.
- a standard issue type can have only 1 parent Epic
- standard issue types can have multiple Sub-tasks
- Sub-tasks can have only 1 parent issue
- Sub-tasks are not stand-alone issues - they must be associated with a parent issue

Does that not meet your needs?

Alternate solutions:

You can make these designations using the generic Issue Linking functionality and creating custom Link Types, but Jira will not automatically recognize those as parent/child relationships.

With third party apps you could also add the ability to create a custom issue field of type Issue Picker that would allow you to specify an issue key in these fields. Again, Jira would not automatically recognize any parent/child relationship between the issues.

Without a third party app you can still create custom Text Fields and type in Issue Keys.

Can you tell us more about your use case? What problem are you trying to solve? How would you expect to use these fields?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events