Can we auto assign tickets in Jira Service Desk?

rich johnson January 16, 2017

We are currently using Spiceworks helpdesk and trialing JSD on-prem (installed on our JIRA Server). Within Spiceworks, there are 2 methods for auto assigning tickets.

1- When an agent first replies to a new ticket, that issue is now assigned to that agent.

2 - When an agent uses a macro in the body of the email, for example they add the string "#assign rich", the ticket will be assigned to the agent Rich.

Is there any way we can do something similar with JIRA Service Desk?

3 answers

0 votes
rich johnson January 17, 2017

I answered this too early.  What actually happens, is it looks at ALL comments, not just the most recent.  Example:

1. New ticket created by user Bob
  2. Heldesk tech, Ryan comments: "#assign"
  3. ticket gets assigned to Ryan because "#assign" is found in the comments.
  4. Helpdesk tech Alice comments: "something"
  5. ticket gets assined to Alice because the comments still contain "#assign" from Ryan's comment.

Is there a way in the JQL to serch only the most recent comment?

0 votes
rich johnson January 16, 2017

We ended up using the free plugin, "JIRA Automation".  The rule looks like:

project = ITHD AND (comment ~ "#assign" OR comment ~ "#accept")

Then: set assignee to last commented.

How it works:

If I comment on as issue and somewhere in the body of the email i write "#accept", it will assign the ticket to me.  Just what I was looking for.

0 votes
QuentinB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2017

You can use this free plugin proposed by Atlassian to add automation rule (like assign issues) :
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin/server/overview 

Srikanth Ganipisetty December 8, 2020

This works

Suggest an answer