Can we ask for additional details for a ticket after the ticket is logged?

Saumya Jain November 1, 2019

I require customers to send me some extra details related to a product installation after they have raised a JIRA. One way is to send them an Excel File with my template fields and ask them to fill them and send the file back to me. However, customers will not always have access to open Excel files. This creates a problem. 

Another way we thought was to use Confluence space to achieve the functionality. There we can create a table template and send us the table in response. However, it still is not very professional. 

Is there any way to integrate a form in the ticket type based on some fields, so that the form can be invoked during the logging of ticket?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2019

@Saumya Jain why not creating enough fields that will be enough to get the needed information from the users ... instead of these much works .?

Saumya Jain November 3, 2019

@Kevin Johnson Custom fields can work, but for transforming Service Desk fully as a support desk, we need to set up a communication channel, where the support team will ask for follow up fields after a ticket has been raised.

That's why I am looking for an automated feature (if present) to replace the copy + paste or adding a long list of fields in the ticket itself.

Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2019

@Saumya Jain Best way to deal with it is creating enough custom fields that can store all your related info ,otherwise you have to deal with the excel sheet.

Just for the record...can you approximately tell how many fields or set of information that you require after the ticket have been raised so that i can suggest you a different idea to do the same stuff in a better way 

Or please the exact scenario so that we can replicate and help you to do your job in a better way .!

Happy to help 

Kevin.

Saumya Jain November 4, 2019

I will give you the whole scenario:

1. A customer raises a ticket requesting for new product installation.

2. The support team will revert back by asking the following.:

• Environment
  • Hard Disk Space
  • Product Version
  • Due Date
  • Some other check points.

Now when the customer replies back with the required fields, the support team can initiate a follow up with the Operations team to get the product Installed.

So, that is the reason I am looking for a follow-up form instead of Custom Field.

Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2019

Do you have different products and various custom fields for each products or almost similar and only 5-7 fields .?

If it's similar and had only below 10 custom fields i suggest you to use the custom fields where the ticket it created cause when a customer comes for a service it's not a good practice to get the information step by step and one by one ...you need to be precise in the first attempt the needed info need to be collected all of a sudden once the ticket is being raised and then work need to be started 

And mainly for this kind of work to track all the values related to the ticket easily the JIRA is being used .

Your thoughts on this @Saumya Jain 

Saumya Jain November 5, 2019

Hi @Kevin Johnson , as you suggested, we can now go with the custom fields. There is some administrative work required from our end, but hopefully, we can manage the fields. Thanks a lot!

Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2019

@Saumya Jain you're welcome if any issues with the development in your side you can feel free to contact community.

Suggest an answer