Can we OR transition validators in a workflow?

Tony Pieri August 2, 2017

Hello,

We are using Jira Service Desk Cloud.

Is it possible to OR validators on a transition in a workflow? I see that you can do something like that with conditions on a transition using grouped conditions, but there doesn't seem to be something similar for validators.

The problem I am facing is that we are having trouble with agents who don't log work time when they work through an issue. With our setup, we have two places where agents can log work time, either using the log work functionality on the issue details screen or in a Time Spent field on our Close Issue screen. I would like to set validators so that they can't close an issue unless the sum of the work time logged for the issue is greater than zero OR a value has been entered into the Time Spent field on the Close Issue screen.

I've tried putting these two validators on our workflow transition from In Progress to Closed, but they are ANDED, so to close an issue the agents would need to both log work using the functionality on the issue detail screen AND enter a value in the Time Spent field on our Close Issue screen. That's not what we want. We want OR not AND.

If we can't OR workflow transition validators, is there another way to achieve what we want?

Yes I know that we can reopen issues and correct the work logs and we can fire agents who forget to log work time, but these aren't good long term solutions.

Thanks,

Tony

1 answer

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2017

This is convoluted, but one thing you could do is set two transitions between in progress and closed using the Value Field condition, using the "Number" comparison type. If you set the conditions properly, only one of the two should ever be allowed to execute, the user would not have to pick between the two.

Then set the appropriate validators for each transition.

1. Name this transition "Close." For this transition, you validate for Sum Progress > 0. You will not need a validator for this transition.
  2. Name this transition "Close and enter time." For this transition, you will validate for Sum Progress <=0. You will set a validator on this transition requring the user to enter time spent.

Suggest an answer