Can tickets be moved to another active Sprint B during closing an active Sprint A?

Kent Chiu January 23, 2020

I am trying to complete an active Sprint and move the incomplete tickets to another Sprint that has been already activated.

When I tried to complete an active Sprint, the active Sprint is not listed in the drop down selection of the Sprint to move the tickets to.

Is this a bug or by designed that tickets only can be moved to a Sprint that is not active yet (i.e Planned Sprint) ?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Kent

1 answer

1 vote
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Hi @Kent Chiu - This is explained in the Jira Software Cloud documentation, so probably isn't a bug:

When completing an active sprint with incomplete issues, you can't directly move these incomplete issues to another active sprint. You need to move these issues to the backlog first, and then you can add the issues to the active sprint.

Source: Using parallel sprints

Hope that helps!

Mike Kane July 27, 2021

Is there a justification for why this wouldn't be allowed? It would be helpful to understand what the harm is in making this action possible. 

Like # people like this
Evan Willey March 29, 2022

use case: I first want to review, with the team, the remaining issues in the current iteration / sprint(S1). I then want to review the upcoming work that's been prioritized for inclusion into the next iteration (S2) that begins the same day S1 ends. once I have team alignment on both current WIP and potential new work to pull in over the course of S2, I want to carry over the WIP from S1 into the S2, and close out S1, capturing velocity metrics for that iteration.

Tl;dr: I would like the workflow Kent describes. 

Like Vlad Malinovsky likes this

Suggest an answer