Can the jira burndown be based on subtask?

sudakshina ghosh April 19, 2024

Hi ,

1. Can the Jira burndown be tracked based on subtasks?

2.I need to show a more accurate burndown based on subtask completion . Can I estimate the subtasks?

2 answers

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2024

Hi @sudakshina ghosh,

As far as I know, Jira does not include the sub-tasks in its burndown reports or Sprint Burndown gadget. I just tested, and on my system I see no sub-tasks in the reports or gadgets.

If you want to track sub-tasks, your best option would be our Great Gadgets app, which let's you include the sub-tasks not only in the Sprint Burndown Burnup Chart gadget, but also in the Release Burndown Burnup Chart or Team Velocity gadget. So a complete solution for tracking your Scrum projects by subtasks!

image.png

On its data tab, this gadget displays also a sprint report, which includes the subtasks.

The Data tab showing sprint details

See also this article: 

If you have any questions, please contact us at support@stonikbyte.com.

Danut. 

0 votes
Chris Chambers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 19, 2024

Certainly, I'm happy to assist.

1. Yes, Jira allows tracking of burndown based on subtasks. By breaking down larger tasks into subtasks, you can effectively monitor progress at a more granular level.

2. Absolutely, estimating subtasks can provide a more accurate representation of your burndown. By estimating the time or effort required for each subtask, you can better gauge progress and adjust your project timeline accordingly. This approach enhances visibility and allows for more precise tracking of your project's trajectory. If you need guidance on how to estimate subtasks effectively within Jira, I'm here to help.

Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2024

Hi @Chris Chambers,

Are you sure that this is possible? Maybe I am missing something, but I just double-checked on my test Jira Cloud and it does not seem to be possible.

Could you please tel us how how to make the sub-tasks visible in the Jira reports and gadgets?

Thanks,

Danut.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events