Can the JIRA notification feature aggregate changes close in time to each other?

rick stuart August 11, 2016

Can the JIRA modification update feature aggregate changes to 1 issue into 1 and only 1 email announcement when the change events are less than 1 minute apart?

(Many times I depend on people reading my JIRA updates.  Many times they are ignored because there are normally 2 to 6 closely related JIRA emails with trivial changes clogging their mail box.  What do they do?  They set up filters to send JIRA email into a separate folder – with good intentions of reading them – someday.)

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR DAILY AGGREGATIONS!  It is important to get information out in a timely manner (for example, in time for a impending meeting).

A good prototype to follow: Stack Exchange (http://stackexchange.com/) already implements an email notification feature as described here.

-thanks

1 answer

0 votes
B_R March 16, 2017

It´s absolut annoying to get a bunch of Mails for simple but sequentiall changes that occur every time a ticket is edited:

add comment, change comment a few times for typos, change status, version, solution, change assignee.

rick stuart March 18, 2017

Agreed.

I am not sure of Atlassian's business plan.  I'm sure they want market penetration.  But they are missing wide acceptance as many of their potential clients (workers in industries where Atlassian is available) simply do not bother with Atlassian software - filtering all Atlassian tagged email to the trash.

The canned Atlassian answer to mitigate this problem is to ask the receiver to adjust their Atlassian email filters.  The problem is that the receiver is likely not an Atlassian (power) user and is likely a non-technical manager.  Who, one fine day, discovers they can auto-trash all Atlassian emails.

B_R March 18, 2017

Guess, how many mails did i receive because of your comment?

Yes, it is 4 (in words four) mails.

2017-03-18 14_58_13-Clipboard.png

B_R March 18, 2017

In this situation, only one comment was posted, it´s clearly a bug. JIRA Admin [Administrator], please fix this bug.

Suggest an answer