Can the Epic>Story>Sub-task relationship be successfully imported into Greenhopper with a CSV file?

David Barrett February 5, 2013

Hi,

I am trying to import an Excel spreadsheet of requirements into Greenhopper.

The import process runs successfully but when I check the scrum board, the Stories aren't linked with their Epics. Instead I see a field in Story called 'Epic/Theme' with the parent Epic name as a label.

Can the Epic > Story > Sub-task relationship be successufully imported into Greenhopper/Jira with a CSV file?

Here's the CSV file content:

Description,Summary,Issue Id,Parent Id,IssueType,Story Points,Epic,Component,Component,Component,Component,Component,Component,FixVersion,FixVersion,FixVersion,OriginalEstimate (s),Reporter
Description1,Epic1,,,Epic,,,component1,component2,component3,,,,0.1,,,,reporterName
Description2,Story1 for Epic1,101,,Story,1,Epic1,component1,component2,component3,,,,0.1,,,,reporterName
Description3,Sub-task1 for story1,,101,Sub-task,,Epic1,component1,component2,,,,,0.1,,,14400,reporterName
Description4,Sub-task2 for story1,,101,Sub-task,,Epic1,,,component3,,,,0.1,,,28800,reporterName
Description5,Sub-task3 for story1,,101,Sub-task,,Epic1,component1,component2,component3,,,,0.1,,,14400,reporterName

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

Epic story relation is using something called as system link (it's a normal issue link, but hidden). I am not sure if you can import it via CSV. The Epic/Theme field is used by Classic modes and not used by the new boards of GH.

You have some alternatives to use REST to create issues and also link to stories. You need to be comfortable with a bit of scripting though

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/115733/how-to-attribute-issue-to-epic-via-api

David Barrett February 11, 2013

Support has answered this:

Hi David,

Sorry mate for taking some time investigating this.

In order to link the stories to their Epics, you will need to link the Epic value to Epic Link field which is going yo map the links from the Story-->Epic.

However, this is not possible, because Epic Link field is not available under CSV importer fields mapping which makes it impossible to have this link via CSV import.

I have raised this feature request to enable this feature. In the mean time, the only way is to manually drag and drop these stories to the parent Epic.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Omar

1 vote
Sean Hayes April 27, 2015

FYI -- it is now possible to import the EPIC LINK using the ISSUE KEY (ISSUE-234) of the EPIC in JIRA's CSV Import.

Jonak Biswas October 21, 2015

Hi, Can you please provide some details on how to do it. I am quite new to Jira and need to add Users Stories to Existing Epics in Jira.

0 votes
Azfar Masut February 17, 2016

Yes, it is possible. Please see an example on how to do it below:

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-640

Biyou Ma August 11, 2020

Hi, I can not see JIM-640, can you please help to check?

Suggest an answer