Can't update any issue in JIRA

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013

Hi,

In my company I have JIRA 5.2.11 from a couple of months ago. In July I went a long vacation and when I returned I found that I can't update any issue of my JIRA system. The error that display is :

Exception occurred: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:ChangeGroup][id,19214][author,dgarcia][created,2013-09-03 13:48:12.177][issue,11019] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO changegroup (ID, issueid, AUTHOR, CREATED) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?) (Communications link failure The last packet successfully received from the server was 11 milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 6 milliseconds ago.))

I do this:

1) Restart JIRA.

2) Restart MySQL.

3) Review permission of database and user. All is correct.

4) Increase 'ulimit' by default.

But It doesn't works. Can anybody help me?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2013

After checking all the permissions of my database and do the recommendations (performance) that you said to me, I checked again the database and I saw that the table 'changegroup' was corrupt. Lucky I do daily backups of my database, so I restore and I could solve the problem...

I don't know why my database was broken because I don't do anything the time that I go out (holidays)... maybe a restart of JIRA or the system is the cause of these problem.

Thank you guys

1 vote
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2013

Hi Daniel,

One thing that just crossed my mind, perhaps this can be related to DNS change, is MySQL installed on the same server as JIRA? In case yes, you may change the MySQL server address to localhost or the direct IP address into the dbconfig.xml file, that is located inside your JIRA home directory.

Cheers

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2013

Tiago,

MySQL is installed on the same server as JIRA, so I check dbconfig.xml and the MySQL Adress is 'localhost' so it's ok.

1 vote
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2013

Odd that it only occurs for issue updates.

Have you verified other write/updates? (edit a version release date, create a component, etc)

May be a timeout issue on the mySQL side.

Be sure you have configured the "validation query" outlined in this page, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Surviving+Connection+Closures

And I suggest trying "testOnBorrow" = true as well p- http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html

If those don't work, see this page to forcefully evict connections from JIRA's side before MySQL gets a chance. Resolution assumes "max_wait_time" in MYSQL is set to 8 hours, so verify that first.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/'Communications+link+failure'+CommunicationsException+Error+with+JIRA+User+Management+on+MySQL

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2013

Thanks for your recommendations. I do all of these but my database doesn't works because it was corrupted. I finally had to restore the database with backup.

Suggest an answer