Can't unassign Jira license from Active Dir user

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2012

I have one disabled (not deleted) Active Directory user that I cannot remove from several local Jira groups including the jira-users group so I cannot recover the Jira license. I have unassigned other AD users from these local jira-* groups with no problems. It is just this one AD userid.

I tried to enabled the AD account. I disabled the entire AD user directory so see if there was an associated local account -- there wasn't.

Any ideas, Brent

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

In the end, separate groups were setup in Active Directory and I setup Jira User Directories pointing to these separate AD groups. The AD synchronize is periodically run by Jira and new users show up. I wrote a separate perl script to query the users from Jira(MySQL) database versus querying all the users associated with every Jira group using the JIRA::Client perl module. From there the script would send me an email if new users showed up in the db but haven't been assigned to any Jira groups yet.

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Norman:

That's the problem, the AD user did belong to several groups including "jira-users" which dictates whether the user can log into Jira or not and therefore consumes a license or not. This AD user also belongs to jira-developers group, another out of the box group. Both these groups are locked to this user now and I can't remove them.

As a test, I removed all groups including jira-users and jira-developers from several active AD users (i.e. numerous open issues) with no problems and the license count was reduced. Cleaning up issues only comes up when you want to delete users then Jira wants to know what to do with their issues.

I must have a data corruption possibly.

Thanks, for the comment

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Why don't you try to query for that user and see what issues show up. If there are any active issues with his name, then reassign those issues and then try disabling the user again. I am assuming the user did not belong to any group when you tried to disable the user.

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Thanks for the quick response Christian. Reading through that supplied answer and its associated CWD-2478 indicates you need to disable in both Crowd and AD to regain the license but I'm not using Crowd. As well, I was able to remove all jira groups from other AD users and regain the license. For this one user, I may have disabled the user in AD first before removing all the jira groups now even if I enable that user I can't remove any jira groups. Note: I add and delete new groups to the user but the "original" two groups are locked and cannot be removed.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Suggest an answer